I'm Cooler Than This.....

Thursday, September 11, 2008

About a year ago, corporate decided that the customer services managers should have "offices". Well, in order to do this they had to take the accounting offices away and put up panels. This is a souped up version of a CUBICLE. We fought it for about a month, but ultimately lost in the end. After having a private office for so long the noise level was just unbearable. I am easily annoyed anyway, but the little noises that people make were making me insane. Clicking of keyboards, hearing other people's conversations, rattling of change in pockets, that clicking noise people make with their mouths when "thinking". I couldn't stand it. The only solution I could come up with, was the purchase of a pair of headphones. So, I got myself a little 2G MP3 player. I downloaded the software and began searching song choices, playlists, albums, whatever.... I brought it to work the next day and as soon as I heard something annoying, I put them on. WOW!!! I was in my on little world. I became quite the guru with my new toy. For my daughters 7th birthday, I bought her an IPOD Nano and downloaded all of "her" music onto it. She listened to it all summer, taking it with her where ever we went. Well, when school started back a few weeks ago, I sort of....well....took her IPOD. It was laying on the counter in the kitchen and had been for 2 weeks untouched, so I figured that she wouldn't miss it anyway. The sound on this thing is ssooooo much better than mine. The screen is bigger, it has little pop up things, it can hold pictures, etc... It's COOL!!!
I have now downloaded all of my music on her IPOD and as soon as I get to work in the morning I put my headphones on and go into my own little world of Journey, Rod Stewart, Poison, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd and most recently.....Rihanna, Jesse McCartney, Flo Rida, Jordin Sparks, and my favorite right now....Kardinal Offishall's "Dangerous". By lunch I feel like a Solid Gold dancer. My co workers concerns of my unstable mental state has now been confirmed. I can actual dance now in my chair while typing. Now I know why Ellen DeGeneres dances before every show...ITS FUN!!!! I love music, it can take you back to places in your mind that have long been filed away or bring you right back up to current time in seconds. Because of my recent discovery of just how cool I am, I began taking a Hip Hop dance class on Thursday nights when Bryleigh is in Gymnastics at the Arts Guild. It is 6 other women that are about my same age that too have recently realized how cool they are, in spite of what our kids say. It is great exercise and OH SO MUCH FUN!!
You might be wondering how I can concentrate on generating financial statements while listening to "...throw your hands in the Ayer, Ayer, Ayer" but it actually helps me concentrate. Maybe I'm just good at multi-tasking, or my job has now become so monotonus that I don't really have to think anymore. The only bad thing about this is that you ocassionally get interupted. If I am really into the song, and have a good flow going, it brings me out of "Ashleyville". Which is not good.
So, if you are like me and need to "get away" from your surroundings, I highly suggest this purchase. You too could find your inner coolness....put on a pair of headphones and dance like no one is watching!!!

1 comment:

MaryB said...

Yep - gotta have the music as I work. I don't have an iPod, so I stream the music via the internet (though I'm not suppose to. . .). There's a sight that organizes songs by years. I choose depending on my mood. Today, 1971. Damn, music was REALLY good back then. Sorry you missed it. :-)